Sunday, December 06, 2015

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Detective Fiction Weekly, January 8, 1938


I like all the Park Avenue Hunt Club stories by Judson Philips that I've read in DETECTIVE FICTION WEEKLY. I haven't read this one, "The League of Disaster", but I'm sure it's good. Somebody needs to do a complete collection of this series. While they're at it, a collection of the Morton and McGarvey stories by Donald Barr Chidsey would be welcome, too. This issue also has a Bulldog Drummond story in it, as well as part of a serial by T.T. Flynn. DETECTIVE FICTION WEEKLY was a fine pulp featuring many of the best authors.

5 comments:

Walker Martin said...

This series is available in a massive two volume collection for $180. Battered Silicon Dispatch Box has published the entire series as THE COMPLEAT ADVENTURES OF THE PARK AVENUE HUNT CLUB. I think it's only available on their website.

James Reasoner said...

I'm glad to know somebody reprinted the series, but that's a little too pricey for my blood. I'm going to take a look, though, and think about it.

Moring said...

Keep an eye on The Argosy Library in the future....

Ed Gorman said...

Can't believe it. I own one copy of this pulp and it's this one.

James Reasoner said...

Matt,
That's good to know!

Ed,
There's some good stuff in there, but unfortunately the Park Avenue Hunt Club story and the T.T. Flynn story are both serial installments, so you wouldn't be getting complete yarns in them. At least the Flynn is part 5 of 5, so it could be read with some degree of satisfaction, I guess. Still, it's always good to have a pulp.