Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Take the Long Way Home - Brian Keene


In this short novel, the narrator and three of his friends and co-workers are on their way home in their carpool when what seems to be the blast of a giant trumpet causes millions of people worldwide to vanish suddenly. The world rapidly descends into chaos and violence as the narrator tries to get home and be reunited with his wife. That's right, it's the Rapture, but this is no LEFT BEHIND. Instead it's a story of survival that reminded me in many ways of Lee Goldberg's great novel THE WALK.

TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME is the first thing I've read by well-regarded horror author Brian Keene. It's fast-paced, well-written, and the characters are compelling, especially the narrator, Steve. I enjoyed it and probably will read more by Keene. I'm pretty sure I have several of his paperbacks on my shelves.

No comments: