Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday's Overlooked Movies: War Paint, Bang Bang, Teddy Bear

Marcus Liberski is a talented young filmmaker from New York. Last week as part of the Tuesday’s Overlooked Movies series, Bill Crider wrote about Liberski’s short film WAR PAINT. I’ve had a chance to watch it now, and I agree that it’s an excellent film. The story is about a young woman battling mental illness and finding an unexpected ally in her fight. It’s beautifully photographed, well-acted, and the score by Trevor Jones (who scored THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, among other films) is perfect. You can watch WAR PAINT here, and it’s well worth doing so.


While you’re there, you can also watch Liberski’s TEDDY BEAR, a slice of domestic drama that has a very effective final twist. Then there’s the shortest of Liberski’s three films and my personal favorite, BANG BANG, which also stars Emily Seale-Jones, the radiant young actress who stars in WAR PAINT. BANG BANG is like a clip from the best film noir you’ve never seen, because it doesn’t exist yet. I’d love to see Liberski expand it into a full-length feature sometime in the future, and I’ve told him so. That’s a movie I want to watch! You should check out Liberski’s work, and I’m looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

You guys can sure find more deeply forgotten movies than I can. I must try harder.

Anonymous said...

War Paint is a private video, so no watching for me.