Friday, August 29, 2008

The Wreck of the Old 89

Our ’89 Buick Century, that is. A very sweet car despite its age. Livia and I were sitting peacefully at a red light this morning when the vehicle coming along the highway behind us slammed into us at high speed. We’re both shaken up, bumps and bruises and sprained knees, but apparently nothing serious. Livia started to get sick from the heat, but the firefighters who responded to the accident invited her to sit in the fire truck, which was air-conditioned. She started feeling better fairly quickly.

The rear end of the Buick is very messed up, of course. We’re both glad the gas tank didn’t explode. At this point we have no idea if the car can be repaired or is a total loss. We’re hoping it can be repaired because the engine runs great and it gets extremely good gas mileage. So we’re thankful nobody was badly hurt and royally frustrated because of all the hassle involved. But Livia got to sit in a fire truck and in a police car, and I got to sit in the back seat of the police car like a perp. It was all I could do not to start humming, “Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do . . .”

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

James, sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad to hear that y'all are ok. Hope you can get the car fixed, but it seems to me that insurance companies are pretty quick to total a vehicle. And I agree with you, the back seat of a squad car is not the best place to be sitting.

Danny

Unknown said...

No doubt you must be thinking, "What next?" I'm glad to see your sense of humor remains unimpaired.

August West said...

You need to get rid of 2008, and start new with 2009. It's been a rough one for you. Glad no one was seriously hurt. Also hope you can keep the vehicle- a good car is like a good woman-when you have one you keep it as long as possible. ("Long may you run" -Neil Young)


Heal well, A.W.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Fires, crashes. What next Bill asks? And don't say hurricanes!

David Cranmer said...

Glad you and your wife are ok and sorry to hear about the Buick. You have a guardian angel working overtime.

Charles Gramlich said...

Man, sorry to hear this. Glad you and Livia are OK. I was rearended once and ached for a week after that becaus of all the pulled muscles and stuff. I hope the car can be repaired. I'm guessing probably not but keep us informed.

Again, glad you two are OK.

Anonymous said...

James, are you sure agents from S.P.E.C.T.R.E aren't after you?

Glad you survived another one, Mr. Bond.

TL

Randy Johnson said...

Glad to hear you're both okay. Sorry about the car. I own an '88 Buick myself of which I'm quite fond.

David Jack Bell said...

Glad to hear you're both okay.

James Reasoner said...

TL -- Yeah, I knew my secret past as a shadowy government operative would come back to haunt me one of these days.

Everyone -- Thanks for your kind words. Livia and I are a little sore this morning, but nothing to worry about.

I am kind of glad that we don't live anywhere near the coast, though, considering how things have been going.

Cap'n Bob said...

Don't dismiss your pain or injuries so quickly. Some of one's physical problems don't manifest themselves right away. If their insurance company makes an offer, reject it. I'm not suggesting a scam, just make sure you're not shorting yourself when you might have a problem later that arose from this incident.

Graham Powell said...

My dad used to sell Buicks, and I worked for a while at a Buick dealership. They're good cars. Too bad you don't see them much anymore.

Juri said...

When I fell from a swing with my son and hit the back of my head pretty bad, someone said to me: "A writer has to experience a lot of things."

So, maybe it's time to congratulate you, James and Livia!

James Reasoner said...

Juri,

I think under the circumstances, from here on out I'd rather just make stuff up . . .