Saturday, July 19, 2008

Batman and Son


Some of the first comic books I remember reading are issues of BATMAN from the Fifties, and here I am fifty years later still reading about Batman. Or The Batman, if you prefer. With the new movie opening this weekend, it seems appropriate, although I probably won’t actually see it until it comes out on DVD.

The trade paperback BATMAN AND SON reprints eight issues of the monthly BATMAN comic book, a storyline that introduces Damien Wayne, the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia, the beautiful daughter of international criminal Ra’s al Ghul, who’s been one of the major villains in the DC universe for the past thirty years or so. Batman knew nothing about the boy, who was raised to be a weapon for use against him, but not everything goes according to Talia’s plan. As the story plays out, things take a late turn that left me sort of shaking my head in confusion. Maybe there’ll be a follow-up volume later on.

Despite that, I thoroughly enjoyed BATMAN AND SON. The script by Grant Morrison is tight and fast-paced and evocative when it needs to be. The art by Andy Kubert is very good, including one of the covers from the original series that’s a collaboration between Andy Kubert and his dad Joe that’s excellent. Joe Kubert, of course, is one of the all-time great comic book artists and one of my favorites going back (again) nearly fifty years. As a bonus you get a prose short story featuring the Joker, also written by Grant Morrison. If you’re a comic book fan in general or a Batman fan in particular, I highly recommend this volume.

9 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I also keep returning to the Batman universe. Without a doubt, my favorite superhero. Unfortunetely, I grew up on the campy Adam West tv show and it wasn't until Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller that I really appreciated Bob Kane's creation. Then we had to endure several bad sequels to the 1989 film. The current Christian Bale movies seem to be on target. I will have to check out Batman and Son.

James Reasoner said...

I've read all the various eras of Batman since the Fifties, and while the Seventies stories by the likes of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams, and Steve Engelhart and Marshall Rogers, are still my favorites, the post-Dark Knight Returns era has been pretty good, too.

Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

I'm really enjoying Grant Morrison on Batman, he has an appreciation for the earlier stories and a way of using elements of them an updated fashion that keeps the feel of the modern Batman. I especially got a kick out of the arc with the Batmen of different countries. I remember reading the campy silly original and the update was wonderful.

And if you dig this stuff, you should check out the Starman Omnibus. Volume one just came out.

Randy Johnson said...

This looks interesting. Will have to check it out.
I'm looking forward to the new movie, but will have to wait for the DVD as well. Did you know there's a new animated Batman movie out on DVD. It supposed to fall between the two films. Just learned about it myself.
The plot seems to be six interwoven stories by different writers and directors.

Randy Johnson said...

I forgot to mention the title.
Gotham Knight.

James Reasoner said...

I hadn't heard about GOTHAM KNIGHT, but -- and I know I'm in the minority on this -- I don't care much for the animated Batman. I can't get past that gigantic jaw style of animation. If that's not what they're doing anymore, someone please let me know.

Jon, I had all the trade paperbacks reprinting the Starman series but never got around to reading them before the fire. The omnibus sounds like a good deal and I'll definitely check it out.

Randy Johnson said...

James, by the artwork on the DVD packaging and the trailer, he doesn't have that "Jay Leno" jaw. It's hard to tell by the quick cuts in the trailer, but looking at the packaging, his costume seems closer to the comic book version than the movie.

James Reasoner said...

From what I read on the Internet, each segment has a different animation style. Sure sounds like it would be worth checking out.

Randy Johnson said...

Just watched Batman: Gotham Knight on pay per view. It's definitely worth checking out. None of that TV animation to be found.