Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wild Hogs


The plot of WILD HOGS is pretty simple: four middle-aged men who have been friends since high school (Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, and William H. Macy) get together occasionally to ride motorcycles. They call themselves the Wild Hogs and dream of getting away from their pleasant but mostly boring lives. Prompted by Travolta’s character (whose life is falling apart, unknown to the others), they decide to ride across the country from Cincinnati to the West Coast. Adventures and hilarity and the occasional poignant moment ensue.

WILD HOGS is a little by-the-numbers, but it’s good-hearted and a lot of fun. Some of the humor is on the crude side, but not excessively so. I like all the actors involved (especially William H. Macy), and there’s a good supporting cast, too, including Peter Fonda as, what else, a legendary biker. The soundtrack, featuring all sorts of road music, is excellent. WILD HOGS doesn’t break any new ground, but it’s funny and does a good job covering the ground that it does.

5 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Here's where I make my customary remark that I don't watch anything with Travolta or anyone else in that evil cult.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been wanting to see this. I'll make a point of renting it soon. I love motorcycle flicks

Anonymous said...

We just finished this and enjoyed it pretty much. Hey, what can I say. Marisa Tomei in a cowboy hat. That's all I need.

RJR

Mark Terry said...

We watched it last weekend and what struck me most is that William H. Macy may be one of our most talented actors. I like all of them and it's a light entertaining piece of fluff. It did pretty much what I was expecting it to do, but maybe a little better.

One question, though... why would a Super Model live in Cincinnati?

James Reasoner said...

Bob,

Marisa Tomei in a cowboy hat would improve just about any movie.

Mark,

If you haven't seen THE COOLER, with Macy, Maria Bello, and Alec Baldwin, I highly recommend it. Great stuff. And that's a good question about the super model living in Cincinnati. I didn't even think about that.