Monday, August 21, 2006

Three Decades


It doesn't seem possible that thirty years have passed since this picture was taken. It sure doesn't feel like that long ago. Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

Those of you who have met me in person are probably thinking that these pictures are the first time you've ever seen me in a tie, let alone a suit. ("And probably the last time," Livia commented when I mentioned that to her.)

We didn't have a honeymoon because we got married on Saturday and she had college classes to attend on Monday. Or maybe it was registration. I'm a little fuzzy on that, but hey, it's been thirty years. We still haven't taken that honeymoon. Maybe one of these days.

On our 20th anniversary, an editor called that day and said he needed a proposal we were working on as soon as he could get it. So we spent all day writing, took the proposal to Fort Worth late that afternoon, and sent it UPS overnight. Of course, it didn't sell. On our 25th anniversary, another editor called that morning and wanted me to do some revisions and fax them to him that day. For one of the few times in my career, I told an editor, "Nope, not gonna do it. They'll have to wait until tomorrow." When I explained the circumstances, he agreed. Today I didn't write anything -- but I did edit three chapters this afternoon.

When we got married, we moved into an apartment built onto the side of an old rock house that had been there a hundred years or so. It was on top of a hill with a nice view of the lake a couple of miles away. We had one phone, two TVs, and a manual typewriter. I worked for my dad, running the office in his TV repair shop, and wrote movie reviews for the local weekly paper while I was also trying to sell short stories. I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if Livia hadn't encouraged me and believed in me. I know it's a cliche to say that I owe it all to her, but in this case it happens to be true.

Just some musings on a hot day in Texas.

2 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Love those sideburns!

James Reasoner said...

My memory has gotten fuzzy again (sort of like those sideburns). Livia points out that we didn't even have a phone in that first apartment. I still drive by the place several times a week. The original stone house is still there, but the much newer addition where our apartment was has been torn down.