Monday, July 19, 2004

Assorted DVDs

While shopping in various places today, I picked up several DVDs that look interesting.  At Wal-Mart, at their famous bargain DVD bin, I got a collection of four spaghetti Westerns starring Lee Van Cleef.  Unlike a lot of Western traditionalists, I enjoy most of the spaghetti Westerns I've seen.  In fact, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is one of my favorite films, period.  And Van Cleef is always interesting.  Moving on to Half Price Books, I got a three-disc set of the Powers Boothe cable TV version of PHILIP MARLOWE, PRIVATE EYE.  I've heard both good and bad about these, but since I've never seen them I figured I ought to watch them.  Then at Sam's Club, what do I see but a two-disc set of ten Hopalong Cassidy movies, for less than ten bucks.  Couldn't pass that up, now could I?  I may have some of these on videocassette already, but I know I don't have all of them.  I really like Hoppy.  Now all I have to do is find the time to watch all of these (or even some of them).
 
Also at Half Price, I got a 1909 A.L. Burt reprint edition of Stanley J. Weyman's historical novel UNDER THE RED ROBE.  I've never read anything by Weyman, but he has a good reputation among fans of swashbucklers, so I thought I'd give it a try.  This novel is available free on-line, but I'd rather read an actual book if it doesn't cost too much.
 
As you may be able to guess, I didn't do a lick of work today.

1 comment:

Frank Denton said...

Between you and Crider my list of books to read grows ever longer. When I was writing steadily for about ten years, I never approached 23 pages a day nor even 17. You are a writing demon. I'm enjoying your blog a lot. Take a look at mine at frankdenton.blogspot.com