Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Greater Western Magazine, May 1935

Because let's face it: you wouldn't expect a pulp to call itself LESSER WESTERN MAGAZINE, now would you? But based on the authors in this one, the claim's not all that far-fetched. I mean, any Western pulp with Max Brand and Clarence E. Mulford (and a Hoppy story, to boot), backed up by authors as well-known as J. Allan Dunn and Charles Alden Seltzer, is probably going to be pretty darned good. The other author in this issue, George C. Henderson, was no slouch, either. I've read some of his work in other pulps and liked it. To be honest, I'm not that crazy about the cover, but it's not bad, either. I've have picked up this issue for sure I'd had an extra nickel and dime in my pocket.

1 comment:

Walker Martin said...

Despite the title of "GREATER", this pulp was so obscure that the sources I checked were not even certain how long the magazine lasted. We definitely know of 5 issues in 1935 but there might have been a few more.