Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Rango

First of all, I absolutely loved this movie. Gorgeous animation, great music, funny as it can be at times. But who's the target audience? How did it ever get made in the first place? Did Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski go to a studio and say, "We want to make this weird-ass animated movie about a lizard, with a plot that's a cross between a Spaghetti Western and CHINATOWN, and oh, yeah, nobody but old geezers and film students will get even half the jokes in it"? I don't care. I just loved the movie. If you're as weird as I am, you might, too.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I thought the previews were great for this and will definitely check it out when it comes to our library.

mybillcrider said...

Didn't love it but liked it whole lot. I thought the build up was a tad slow. Loved the spaghetti western touches, though, and I agree with you about the target audience. They sold it as a kids' movie, but it sure wasn't.

Graham Powell said...

I dunno, my kids loved it, though I loved it more. During the scene where Rango is bouncing around the highway and meets some... familiar faces, I laughed so hard other people in the theater stared at me.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Guess I am as weird as you are, Mr. Reasoner! I loved this movie too. I watched it in the theatres with my family. Ditto for RIO and BOLT and nearly every animated movie released in recent years. Is there such a thing as kids movies now? Last year we took our 13-year old son to watch INCEPTION on the big screen and he was mighty impressed with the "dream" story. The funny thing was he and his elder sister had to explain certain parts of the movie that left me thoroughly confused!