Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ranger's Revenge - James J. Griffin

RANGER’S REVENGE is my buddy Jim Griffin’s latest Texas Ranger novel, and it’s a top-notch traditional Western. After creating a new character in his last novel, the also very good BIG BEND DEATH TRAP, Griffin brings back Jim Blawcyzk in this book. Blawcyzk isn’t really working for the Texas Rangers this time, though. In fact, he winds up on the wrong side of the law with the Rangers after him for part of the book, because he takes off his badge and goes off on his own after the gang that attacked and possibly murdered his wife and son. (No spoilers there; it happens early on.) As a result, RANGER’S REVENGE is a little grittier than Griffin’s earlier books, but it has the same fine action scenes, interesting settings, and welcome touches of humor. I’ve read all of Jim’s books, and he really is getting better with each one. This one has a heck of a good cover, too. It's available from Amazon, from the publisher, or from Jim's website.

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

This sounds like a good read. I checked out his website... nice site and I like the illustrations. Btw, I ordered Eugene Cunningham's Buckaroo and Diamond River Man. I'll let you know how they are.

James Reasoner said...

I'm looking forward to your opinion on Cunningham's novels. I have his RED RANGE and BORDER GUNS on hand to read soon. The two or three pulp novelettes of his that I've read have been good.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, James. I really appreciate the positive comments. You forgot to mention that good-looking hombre
in the red shirt on the cover is me, though... don't I wish.

Jim Griffin

Anonymous said...

PS:

Re the cover. The WWA (Western Writers of America) wouldn't necessarily agree with you, James. They're pushing those pretty, scenic, non-action, non-offensive covers. I say if a book is an action packed traditional Western, it deserves a cover to match!

Jim