Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Soul in a Bottle -- Tim Powers


For whatever reason, I’m not a big fan of ghost stories and seldom read them. But this isn’t a hard-and-fast rule. I just read A SOUL IN A BOTTLE, a novella by Tim Powers that was published last year in a very nice limited edition by Subterranean Press, one of the best of the small-press publishers devoted to science fiction, fantasy, and horror. The illustrations are by J.K. Potter and are very, very good.

But what about the story itself? Well, it’s set in Hollywood and concerns a rare book dealer’s encounter with the ghost of a beautiful young poet who committed suicide nearly forty years earlier. Or was she murdered? That question gives this book a bit of a mystery feel, and the literary angle is appealing to me, too. I’d never read anything by Powers before (although I have quite a few of his books on my shelves), but I like his writing here. It’s lean and effective and zips right along. The twist ending isn’t really that much of a surprise, but it works pretty well anyway. Overall I enjoyed this book quite a bit, and I wouldn’t hesitate to read something else by Powers.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm a tremendous fan of Powers', though I've yet to read this one. If you're planning on reading more, I suggest Last Call -- not for nothing it won a boatload awards, and it's noir vibe makes it sleek and (by Powers' standards, at least) lean.

Of course, The Anubis Gates is a hell of a time-travel story, and the newly reissued On Stranger tides is one of the best pirate stories I've ever read.

James Reasoner said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Chris. I have THE ANUBIS GATES and ON STRANGER TIDES on my shelves already, and I'll look for LAST CALL.