Monday, October 09, 2006

Yard Work

I've been hitting the writing pretty hard lately (hence the scarcity of new posts during the past week), so today I decided to take some time off and do a few other things that needed done. With my eye problems and the heavy work schedule, I sort of let the place go this summer. This morning I wrote an outline for a series Western, then spent the rest of the day mowing, using the weed eater, and firing up the ol' chainsaw to cut down a dead tree -- which promptly fell on me. Paul Bunyan I ain't. But other than a few scratches I'm fine, no harm done. Unfortunately, late in the afternoon the battery on the lawn mower shorted out, so when it died, I couldn't get it started again. Had to push it back into the barn. And of course it was too late to get another battery today. Now, I like mowing about as much as Bill Crider does, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I wanted to get a few more places mowed before I called it quits for the day. Who knows when I'll get back to it? But at least I got the worst of the tall stuff cut down.

The life of a freelance writer is just non-stop glamor, isn't it?

2 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Nobody likes mowing as much as I do.

Cap'n Bob said...

Be glad you don't have my mower. Ever since I hit a rock it vibrates like a gong. Thirty minutes with it leaves you feeling like you've been using a jackhammer in mud.

Glad the tree missed you, James.