Thursday, July 27, 2006

Catching Up

Well, the idea of taking it a little easier this week and resting my eye worked just fine until I realized I was within shouting distance of finishing the book I've been working on. Naturally, I had to push hard and get it wrapped up, especially the past couple of days. My eye was fairly sore on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, probably because I fouled up on Sunday evening and toted a car battery around, completely forgetting until it was too late that I wasn't supposed to lift anything heavy. I realize a car battery doesn't weigh a ton or anything, but it's still not light. But the eye feels better today and writing quite a bit doesn't seem to have hurt it. I still have a "floater" in my left eye, which makes it look like a black cobweb is dancing and weaving around in front of my eye, when the problem is actually inside. The floater will probably be there for a couple of months, maybe longer. I don't notice it much except when I'm working on the computer or reading . . . which is most of the time, of course.

Anyway, I finished the book this afternoon and plan to take tomorrow off except for maybe writing an outline, then start the next book Saturday.

I have a couple of books I'm reading at the moment, alternating between them: DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM, a collection of humorous essays by David Sedaris, and the Adventure House replica of the October 1937 issue of SPICY MYSTERY STORIES. Yes, I know that's an odd combination. Anybody who's been reading this blog for very long probably isn't surprised by it, though.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Congrats on another notch on your typewriter. I'm glad the floater isn't bothering you too bad.

Graham Powell said...

Would there ba a story by Robert Leslie Bellem in that issue? Was there any other reason to read SPICY MYSTERY STORIES?

Carl V. Anderson said...

Take it easy, want that eye to heal up properly!!! Congrats on finishing another book.

James Reasoner said...

Graham,

Nope, no Bellem story in that issue of SPICY MYSTERY STORIES unless it's under a pseudonym, which is certainly possible. The Spicy pulps are really one of my weaknesses. I know that most of the stories are terrible, but I just enjoy the heck out of 'em anyway. I'm sure if I'd been writing in the Thirties I would have been right there trying to crack the Spicy market.