Thursday, June 16, 2005

erb-list

I've been reading and enjoying books by Edgar Rice Burroughs for over forty years now. Sure, they have some of the flaws shared by most pulp fiction. They're old-fashioned, politically incorrect, and overwritten in places. They're also great fun, at least to me. I still vividly remember the day my sister's boyfriend loaned me his copy of A FIGHTING MAN OF MARS -- the early Sixties Ace edition with cover by Roy Krenkel. It was a Friday in the summer, and I stayed up half the night reading it. Wonderful stuff. It wasn't long after that I bought and read TARZAN OF THE APES, in the Whitman edition with cardboard covers. (I can see it on the shelf from where I'm sitting now.)

The point of this reminiscence is that for the past couple of years I've been a member of an email list devoted to Burroughs called erb-list. I usually just lurk and don't post much, but I enjoy reading all the messages. The membership is very articulate and enthusiastic. The moderator is trying to increase the membership, so I thought I'd plug the list here. If you're a Burroughs fan or just interested in learning more about him and his work, you can visit the erb-list website, where you can join the list or just browse through pages and pages devoted to ERB. It's one of the best Burroughs sites you'll ever find.

No comments: